Monday, January 14, 2013

Baby Quilt almost done

I've made good progress.  I have the baby quilt together and quilted.  It just needs the binding.  I learned a lesson about creating blocks tilted.  I saw a Nancy's notion show and she measured the block and created a side template that was 3:1.  For my quilt I cut the template 12 1/2" x 4".  Then I cut diagonally down from the upper left corner to the lower right corner. 

Well after I finished my tilted blocks I saw a Fons and Porter show where they just attached a border the width of the widest point of the angle then cut the square to make it tilt.  Here is a picture of the block.  See the triangle shapes on the side.  They were cut with a template.  The next time I will just sew a border that is approximate 4 1/2 to 5" wide all the way around.  Then create a 12 1/2" square and lay it on the block with the friendship star in the center titled and cut around it.  When I do it I'll post pictures of how it is done.  I think it will be much easier.
 
The quilt is made using 6 blocks and then sashed using 1 1/2" blocks of all the fabric.  Once I'm done I'll show you what I did to the back.  I've really gotten into pieced backs.  I like the idea of getting two quilts.  one on the front and one on the back.  It allows me to create two quilts where before I'd only get one and put a plain back on.  I'm pretty conversative on the backing just yet, but I'll like to get more patterns on the back.  I'm thinking a lasagna quilt or any big block quilt would work.


 
till next time!  Quilt away!

No comments:

Post a Comment