Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Have you ever woken up in the middle of night and decided to quilt.  well at 12:30 am I got up and decided I would work on my Hunter's Star quilt.  I have the final 24 quarters cut out and the middle half of each half of the quarter block done.  My next step was to sew the two halves together. So I turn on the Tv, found this old channel METv.  It plays really old shows, Mary Tyler Moore, Quantum Leap...stuff like that.  So i'm watching and happily sewing.  When I started pressing the seams, I think, something isn't quite right.  Oh No!  I had sewn these two pieces together backwards.  So reverse stitching began...24 seams....oh no...so maybe it wasn't a good idea to sew at 12:30 am..:(

Let me tell you this Hunter's Star quilt is out to get me.  Can quilts be possessed? 

It has been nothing but trouble.  I can't tell you how many times I've cut wrong, sewed wrong or ironed wrong.  The latest is that I ran out of the dark fabric and I'm not sure I have enough of the medium fabric to do a border.  I wanted this to be a king sized quilt and I only have 36 full HS blocks.  So that leaves a huge border.  If I have enough of the medium border I will do two large borders of light and a small border of medium in between.  It looks good on EQ...so it has to look good finished...right????

How do pattern designers do it when they don't know how the finished product will look?  How do they know how much fabric they'll need.   And if you're like me and let the quilt decide the borders, how do you ever know how much fabric you need for the border.  I have so much to learn!

I recently joined an online quiltbee and recently one of the participants sent out this link for a BOM.  http://www.lecienusa.com/?blockofmonth/  Check it out.  The quilt is beautiful.  They already have several months worth of patterns out there. 

Happy Quilting...or reverse stitching if you're me!

No comments:

Post a Comment