Thursday, March 15, 2012

They did it AGAIN!

I'm a member of the Buckeye Desk and Derrick Club, a member club of the Association of Desk and Derrick Clubs ... a vibrant organization dedicated to furthering the education of its members.  One thing that I've done to help raise money for our Buckeye Club Scholarship the past several years, is make quilted table toppers/wall hangings that are used as donation drawing items.  It makes me feel good to be able to contribute something that helps others better themselves.

I've been pondering what to make for the Spring item ... and decided to use a new pattern this year, new to me anyway.  I fell in love with block that June used in her Fall For Robert quilt.  And then I saw the block again, in a pattern in Easy Quilts magazine.  A gorgeous table topper.  OK, one decision made.

The next is what fabrics to use ... My fabric stash has grown by what seems leaps and bounds, and in an effort to stop the madness I'm trying (the key word is tryinig) to not purchase any more fabric until I've used some of my stash and finished some of the UFOs and PIGs waiting in the wings.  Some days I do better than others ... but that's a story for another day ...

Well, last night I couldn't sleep so into my stash I dove ... calicos or batiks ... calicos or batiks ... which will it be? 

I finally settled on batiks since I've not used them before for a Desk and Derrick project.  So out came a group of 10 fabrics that all play comfortably with each other. 


And then the real fun starts ... putting them together in groups to see which play the best together. 

Yes, I involve June from a distance via multiple emails with the different groupings ... and wait anxioulsy for her opinions and thoughts and comments.  After all, that's what quilting friends are for. 

Ready for the results?  I remembered purchasing a blueberry batik last year while I was visiting June, and pulled it out to compare with the berry and beige batiks that spoke to me the most last night.  I knew immediately this group was it!  I'm calling it Mixed Berry Pie for the moment, but that could change to Berry-licious at any time ...


No comments:

Post a Comment