Friday, March 9, 2012

Last night while listening to a Just SEW It-Basic Machine Embroidery-Monogramming put on by Bernina.com I sewed on my Hunter's Star quilt.  This is going to be a king size for our bed.  I've always wanted to do a Hunter's Star and found directions on Joann Fabric.  Here is a picture of the sample I did from the pattern on Joann's website.  It is huge.  I'm going to use this sample block as the center for a personal round robin quilt.  Each quarter of this block was 12 1/2"  But I love the colors.  This blue is Julie's favorite color.  The fabric was left over from a quilt I made for Julie last year.

I took these directions and joined them with some I found on the web and downsized it so my block (with four quarter blocks sewn together) is 12 1/2".  I found three coordinating blue fabrics (light, med and dark) on Connectiong Threads that will work with our bedroom colors and put together sample blocks - one of each combination of light and med, light and dark and med and dark fabrics.  After much thought and input from Julie, I decided to do the med and dark as the two colors.  I will use the light as border and backing...I think.  I tend to decide on my borders after I get the blocks together.  Although I have been playing in EQ and I put sashing in just to see how it looked.  It gave the block a whole new look.  I only have 21 blocks done and due to sleeplessness last night I finished 19 quarter blocks (when sewn together like above these 19 quarter blocks will give me 4 and 3/4 blocks).  So right now I only have 25 blocks.  Good start but I have a way to go.  I'll keep sewing until I run out of med and dark.  The fabric is no longer available on CT.   I'll post pictures later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment