Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Show and Tell ... Again

Let me start first with the goal was to make table toppers/wall hangings that were all close to 40" square.  They're to be used as decorations at a convention for an energy education group that I an a member of.  If you know me, you know that I have a hard time following the rules, but I am doing to my best to keep them close to that measurement.

Log Cabin Table Topper/Wall Hanging -

I goofed while cutting the center/first log of this and ended up with a rectangular vs square block.  I opted to keep going, and really do like the finished block.  You'll notice that the finished project is also rectangular.  So I decided to added borders to make it closer to square, and ended up sewing the wider border on the long edges ... once again I opted to let it go since I do like the finished product.  I've included pictures of it without and then with the border.



Country Roads Table Topper/Wall Hanging -

Well, I deleted the the picture that I took of the finished block quarters ... and I've still not decided on whether or not I want a border.  I am thinking it would look more finished with a small border.  And, as I have only a small amout of the green/gold print left, it will be a small border.  I'll see what tonight brings when I get home from work.



Yes, I had left over strips from the log cabin project.  I ran across the pattern below in a magazine from last year.  No, I don't remember which one.  Yes, I opted to not follow the pattern exactly.  I used the same size logs, but a row less than the previous project.  And you'll notice that even the background blocks are  log cabins ... had to stay focused, but I love the finished project.  I plan to use a border of the background fabric and them use some remaining of one of the log fabrics as the outer border.  This is one that I will definitely be using again ... most likely in solid colors though.  Of course in both calicos and batiks.



2 comments: