Tuesday, March 5, 2013

While waiting for Julie's visit, I pulled out a UFO.  Courthouse steps.  I started this a couple of years ago when I was living at my Mother's when we moved back to MN and were looking for a house.  I cut 1 1/2" strips of anything she had available.  Each block has nine set of steps with a 2" black center block.  the joining square have matching steps.  so you get a secondary design.  I sure I saw this in some magazine but now i don't remember what magazine.  But the affect is wonderful. 

I found out 1/4" is not always the same on different machine.  I'm not sure which machine I was sewing on while at Mom's but the quarter inch was a LARGE quarter inch.  My machine now has a 1/4" foot.  The difference in blocks is amazing.    I didn't want to unsew all those blocks and I didn't want to increase the size of my seams in the new blocks.  I have a row of about 9 blocks that are smaller than the blocks i'm doing now.  The small blocks will probably be use those in the border.    It will be interesting to see what happens.

I have 6 blocks done and another 2 partially done.  I figure I'll make a 4x4 block center and then do some interesting things to the borders to make it a larger quilt. 

Quilting is always an adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment